Sunday 18 January 2009

How it all started



In January 2006 at the age of 46, I reached 109 kilos or 242lb (17st 4lb). I tried dieting and walking a minimum of 10,000 steps per day with limited success. I lost 4.5 kilos (10lb) and plateaued. In May 2006 I started running on the treadmill where I work and the weight started moving again but I got bored by 4k.

July 2006 I started running along the towpaths of my local canal. The weight just kept dropping off as I banged the miles in.

I entered local races of 10K and half marathons finishing most of them towards the back of the second third of the pack which I'm most happy with.

I'm now 88 kilos (195lb) which is a BMI of 27 for a 1.8m (6ft) bloke. I really would like to increase my distance rather than speed so my thoughts are that if I lose around 5 kilos it will be that much less to carry and hopefully make it that much easier to get in those extra miles. Plus, it will be that much less pressure on now my ageing joints.

My next venture is to run/walk 135k (84 miles) along the ancient Hadrian's Wall path (Hadrian's Wall is ancient - not the path) in April 2009. This will be a two day event accompanied by colleagues from work raising money for The Fallen Soldiers. Day one from the Solway Firth on the West Coast to Once Brewed at 69k (mile 43) then 66k (41 miles) from Once Brewed to Wallsend, Newcastle on the East Coast on day two.


The Territorial Army is providing transport, communication and accomodation and we're hoping to double our sponsorship through two major companies yet to be confirmed.

A Just Giving account will be set up in February for anyone who would like to donate to this cause.

Hopefully keeping this blog of my/our training will help keep me/us on track.

I'm new to blogging but I'm hoping things will improve as I get into it.

1 comment: